Thursday, January 20, 2011

Stir crazy

It's a snow/ice day here in Norman. Ordinarily that would be exciting, but I am going stir crazy. It's bad enough that I am already off work two days a week. Having a third day to twiddle my thumbs is not exactly fun, mostly because I think too much and all this free time let's me second guess everything about my life.

Right now it is mostly about my career, but topics can range from nutrition choices to the color shoes I wore the day before.

But like I said, the past few days I have just been bummed about the job situation. I do have a part time job, but sometimes I don't feel very effective. I rely heavily on other people in the office, and when they aren't there, I don't feel like I am accomplishing very much. Then when I look for other jobs, most position expect two or more years of experience. AHHHHHHHHHHH.

Sorry. I just needed to express how I feel.

I hate not knowing what path I should be looking for. I honestly don't know if I am cut out to be a career woman. I'm not really motivated by money. Yeah, I don't want to starve, but I am not going to mindlessly climb the corporate ladder because that kind of power doesn't drive me to do my best. Instead, I am inspired by people. I am inspired by stories. I think the nonprofit world really is the best fit for what I love, but the lack of jobs is discouraging.

Someone please tell me there is a light at the end of this tunnel!

2 comments:

  1. Girl, I COMPLETELY understand what you're going through. The job search is completely draining, especially when, like you mentioned, EVERYONE wants 2+ years of experience. And when you read that, you feel like shouting at them "HOW CAN I GET EXPERIENCE IF YOU WON'T LET ME?!?!" And then it just complicates things when you don't even know what kind of job you want.
    But just keep looking! I know what it's like to be in a job that you don't enjoy, but know that you're an AMAZING person with great work ethic, and you will find something! It may not be in your time frame, but God's, but I bet you know that, haha :). But the good news is, we're still young! I have to keep reminding myself of that, and that if I run into a few dead end jobs, it's not the end of the world. It's just a job that will teach me something about myself that I can apply to the future (That basically had to be my mantra at Sage or else I would've gone mental)!
    Love you a LOT! I'll keep an eye out for things! If it's nonprofit you're into, when I start working at Camp we get newsletters about stuff like that, so I'll let you know if I hear anything! Let me know if I can do anything else for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love you kayla, and thanks for the vote of confidence! can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete