Thursday, October 20, 2011

Unexpected

If I had to choose one word to describe 2011 so far, one overarching theme that has weaved its way through all of my circumstances, it would be "unexpected".  I don't mean it in a negative OR a positive way. Just a neutral description of the many crazy turns that my life took in the past 10 months. Professionally, relationally, even spiritually, I have encountered surprising circumstances that I could have never predicted.

Unfortunately, dealing with the unexpected is one of my least favorite aspects of life. Maybe that is true of everyone, but I can only speak from my personal experience. I like to know what I am up against. Being able to think about the future with a plan is comforting, but when those plans don't exist, or I am in uncharted territory, I have the tendency to clam up and hide from reality. Healthy, right?

That must be the reason that this year has consisted of unexpected twists and turns. Or maybe it is the natural progression of moving into an "adult" world after college. Either way, the amount of personal growth I have experienced in 2011 is at least equivalent to the maturity I gained my first year in college. Life is full of unexpected moments, and now that I am in a world where there is no concrete next step (i.e., graduate from high school, then college, and then get a job), I think learning to roll with the punches is the best kind of education I could receive. I'm thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment