Friday, May 25, 2012

Sometimes I blog in my head

When I decided to move to OKC I had all these dreams about, you know, actually posting on this blog. And I started out with the best of intentions. In fact, I practically crafted multiple first drafts in my head, all ready to be polished and posted. The time I went to OKCMOA for their rooftop festivities. The time Will and Holly had their last weekend in OKC. The time I shared my birthday picnic with a homeless dude (let me tell you, THAT was an interesting birthday party). The time I actually had a pretty cute decor scheme in my apartment. The time I did a mac-n-cheese face off between this recipe and this one (the greek mac-n-cheese won). The time I went to a fancy-schmancy rooftop birthday party. The time we all had Sunday dinner together.The time I made a fancy-schmancy cake for my friends.

You get the point.

But the follow-through has never been my strong point. It's not like blogging is of life-or-death importance to me, but the lack of consistency is just a symptom of something that invades every area of my life: I can't finish what I start.

I'm great at dreaming of solutions. I'm fabulous at making plans, schedules and incentives. But when it comes to doing the actual work, I kind of suck at it.And at some point of my life, I have to realize that this is a discipline problem isn't going to fade when I hit the ever-elusive adulthood phase of my life. It's the small, daily choices that make me who I am.

Luckily, I've got great friends to keep me accountable on the things that matter. I've got an iPhone and iPad with apps and reminders that bug the living daylights out of me keep me on track. And I've got journals and calendars that allow me to visually remind myself of what I want. The tools are all there. Now I just need the will and the motivation to follow through. Keep my cute apartment clean. Workout everyday. Actually read my Bible. Make fresh and delicious food instead of eating out.

Today, I'm going to start where I am. And maybe, just maybe, I will actually start blogging all those ideas instead of just thinking about them. I'm feeling pretty good about it.

1 comment:

  1. I'll tell you my secret. You can schedule posts to go up in advance. About one day a week I go through and make all of my posts for the week and schedule them to go up. Of course there are some days I actually have to do updates to it like the giveaway ones to post winner's, but at least then the stress is off of feeling like I have to blog every. single. day.

    ReplyDelete