Wednesday, September 14, 2011

life lessons

My roomie Abigail and I were talking earlier about how the older we get, the less we feel like we know. (Try to overlook the wordiness of that sentence... moving on.) I always thought that at this point in my life, I would have a bit more "figured out". Like what I want to do with my life. My career. Where I want to settle. You get the picture.

Alas, that isn't true. The future is one giant, blank canvas, which is at once exhilarating and incredibly intimidating. However, I was working on my freshman year scrapbook (so what if I procrastinate?) and I realized that that hindsight has taught me at least one thing: to trust my instincts.

Like everyone, I've screwed up in life. I've hurt people and embarrassed myself countless times. Looking back on those moments, I realize now that my instincts almost always warned me about the outcome. Most of the time I was too much in la-la land to listen closely, or maybe I doubted myself or the validity of my feelings. The reason I didn't listen isn't important now. What is important is to listen to that sentinel that keeps me on track and trust the small voice. It's never let me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment